National Landslide Preparedness Act
To establish a national program to identify and reduce losses from landslide hazards, to establish a national 3D Elevation Program, and for other purposes.
Summary of Selected Provisions
- Directs USGS to establish a National Landslide Hazards Reduction Program, which would “identify, map, assess, and research landslide hazards,” and respond to landslide events
- Directs USGS to establish a 3D Elevation Program to obtain and provide three-dimensional elevation data coverage for the U.S.
- Requires USGS to develop a national strategy for landslide hazards and risk reduction
- Directs USGS to establish a National Landslide Hazards Database
- Directs USGS and the Department of Commerce to expand the nation’s early warning system for flash floods and debris flow
- Authorizes USGS and the National Science Foundation to create a grant program for research on landslide hazards
Co-sponsors by Party
12/28/2018Advanced by House Science, Space, and Technology Committee
12/13/2017Advanced by House Natural Resources Committee
03/22/2017Introduced in House